Sunday, January 1, 2012

Stage at Le Bernardin

Me with the man of legends, Justo Thomas 


On a Thursday night in my parents bedroom my father and my sister were having talk. They were talking about a school project my sister was doing on the occupy movement, and were planning a trip to New York. Being that New York is my favorite place in the united states I begged to come along. My father jokingly said yes but only if I could get a stage at Le Bernardin. Well what do you know, I got one. 

My stage at the legendary fish restaurant began with a tour of the kitchen. The man showing me through the kitchen was a sous chef named Ron and he was very friendly. Sadly Ron had not told the chefs that I was coming so there was not much work to do. I picked baby pea shoots and arugula and stocked lemon juice for the entire line. 

Though I did not have much work they made up for it by feeding me extremely well. I observed the garde  manger station, I watched as they worked flawlessly, clean and fast through a busy lunch service, all while providing me with an assortment of delicious snacks. I enjoyed perfectly dressed striped bass tartare with crispy artichokes, tantalizing slivers of salmon with pickled heart of palm, warm crab with avocado and potato crisps and seared ultra rare tuna with ham and green peppercorn jam. Not once did a single bite leave me unhappy. 

Thought I did not work much it was still a great experience to watch chefs who have really mastered the art of cookery work. Maybe I will return again and hopefully I will be worked to the bone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment